The Nations Come to Us: Fukuyama Alliance Church Visits Nyack
Nyack College goes to the nations… and the nations come to us.
Recently a Japanese pastor with a half dozen members of his congregation came to gain a better understanding of the historical roots of The Christian and Missionary Alliance at Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS), the denomination’s flagship institution of higher education. Pastor Yoshi Ikuta was joined by Pastor Yoshifumi Ichimori, Mrs. Motoe Ogata, Mrs. Katsue Yasunaka, Mrs. Izumi Sakamoto and her twin teenage sons, Mr. Shinobu Sakamoto and Mr. Makoto Sakamoto.
In 1960 Rev. Ikuta, of the Fukuyama Alliance Church, was a seminary student of Drs. Richard Pease (former ATS dean) and his wife, Dr. Eleanor Pease, (former TESOL Department Chair and Department Head of Modern Languages and Linguistics) when the Peases were serving in Japan. Two decades later, Rev. Ikuta had the opportunity to visit ATS and attended classes at the seminary and the college. With deepened affection for the institution, Ikuta authored the Japanese translation of A.E. Thompson’s biography of Nyack and C&MA founder, Dr. A.B. Simpson.
Nyack Auxiliary Services director, Mrs. Michele Blanck, coordinated an itinerary that included visits with Dr. Frank Tuzi, department chair of World Languages and Linguistics; Dr. Ronald Walborn, dean of Alliance Theological Seminary; Rev. Charles Hammond, dean of students at the Manhattan campus; and Dr. Kwi Yun, chair of the Social Work department.
In addition to touring both the Rockland and Manhattan campuses, a private concert featuring the exquisite operatic performance of 1999 Nyack alumna, Mrs. Shereen Way, accompanied by pianist, Tom Hoetzl, concluded with a surprise when the seven Japanese guests reciprocated with a mini concert of their own including a moving rendition of “Jesus Loves Me.”
Click here to see a photo gallery of their visit. (Main post image by Abraham Koo)
- Nyack College Represented in Journal News STEM Education Feature
- Brightnie Jones ('09) Moves on as a Top All-Star Vocalist on BET's Sunday Best
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- Brightnie Jones Back in BET's "Sunday Best" Vocal Competition
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Fall 2015 Launch for School of Social Work's New MSW Program at Nyack
- Nursing School Students Volunteer at Walter Hoving Home
- Lauren Lebo, NCAA Division II Lacrosse Champ
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Nyack Clergy Association Hosts a Memorial Service for Charleston Nine
- Nyack's Moseley Field Turns Heliport for New York's Governor
- Nyack Softball Players Make CACC All-Academic Team
- Nyack College Students in National Masterworks Festival Chorus at Carnegie Hall
- New Major at Nyack: BA in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Rock-o-Nomix Team: You Voted! They Won!
- New York City Fish Count
- Browse Blog Archive>>