RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 21, 2014
The Chronicle of Higher Education
Names Nyack College "A Great College to Work For"
A Fourth Consecutive Year
Nyack, NY—Nyack College has been named a “2014 Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education (CHE) for the fourth consecutive year. Also the second year with Honor Roll distinction, the College received high marks in the areas of compensation and benefits, confidence in senior leadership, job satisfaction, respect and appreciation, supervisor/department chair relationship, work/life balance, and in a new category, professional development programs.
The Great Colleges program is one of the largest and most respected workplace recognition initiatives in our nation that showcases colleges for specific best practices and policies. Nearly 300 institutions were assessed and Nyack College was among the 92 that received the honor this year.
Under the administration of Nyack’s current president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, the tradition was established of celebrating the efforts and the talent of Nyack faculty and staff at an annual luncheon where service and special awards are presented. In addition to 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or more service year awards, others include Online Educator of the Year, Faculty Award for Support of Information Literacy and Critical Thinking, Enrollment Services Associate of the Year, Student Financial Services Associate of the Year, Student Development Professional of the Year, and Athletics Coach of the Year. For the past six years the Commitment to Mission Award has been presented to one faculty member and one staff member to encourage development and achievement in specific areas of strategic importance to Nyack College; to provide an incentive for continued excellence through specific accomplishments that align with the institution’s core values and mission; and to celebrate individual accomplishments that both reflect and contribute to Nyack’s core values.
After serving as a consultant for more than 50 college and university presidents during his career in higher education, Dr. Scales has not wavered in his appreciation for the men and women who serve as his support system and who are on the frontlines of delivering a quality education at Nyack College.
The Nyack Board of Trustees similarly applauds the leadership of President Scales, who was re-elected to a third three-year term in 2012. Scales says, “The Nyack College community is profoundly diverse. Of our full-time faculty, 39 percent are female and 45 percent are nonwhite. Amid this diversity, Nyack’s faculty and staff come together to serve our students. The result is a workplace that is both purposeful and inspiring. Our purpose unites us, while our diversity energizes us. A diverse community sharing a purpose that unites and defines it is a great place. That’s Nyack, and I feel privileged to serve here.”
“I’m honored to have the privilege of serving with such extraordinary men and women, who not only excel in the areas in which they serve, but who go beyond the call of duty to serve the young men and women being educated and empowered for a lifestyle of servant leadership.”
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 3,100 students in its undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs. In addition to its suburban campus in Nyack, NY and a city campus in Manhattan’s historic Battery Park, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>