Nyack's Welcome Mat for Hungary
Nyack College continues to advance its objective of being a good neighbor in the communities surrounding its campuses and beyond. Earl Miller, Nyack’s executive director of community relations, collaborated with Chuck Maze, Rockland YMCA CEO, to welcome guests from the town of Mosonmagyaróvár in northwestern Hungary.
The group visited the Nyack Rockland campus to experience the higher education environment. For several years Mr. Miller and Mr. Maze have hosted groups like this one under the auspices of Atlantic Bridge, a non-profit organization founded by Nyack alumnus, John Oostydyk, and his wife, Donna who are former staff members of Youth For Christ (YFC). After their tenure with YFC, they established Atlantic Bridge, under the slogan “building bridges and breaking down walls.” (Click here for more information.)
The group that visited Nyack today included several graduates of Kossuth Lajos Gimnázium and an educator, Barbara Hohner, who was once their teacher at the Hungarian public school equivalent to an American high school.
In addition to a tour of the campus and lunch in Boon Campus Center, the group gathered in The Hub for casual conversation with Nyack faculty and staff. Mrs. Carol Ann Freeman, administrative assistant to President Michael Scales, who visits Hungary for short term missions twice each year, kicked off the discussion of their homeland. Mr. Miller facilitated a brief dialogue about their cultural exchange. Associate Registrar Jamila Wright shared a candid personal testimony of her journey to embracing Christianity. The campus visit concluded with a musical performance by School of Music professors, Dr. Tammy Lum and Dr. Marie Herseth Kenote.
- Nyack Baseball Team Collecting Baseball Gloves for Sports Clinic in Mexico
- Global Service-Learning 2015
- Peace and Hope Visit Nyack Rockland
- Hudson Link, TEDxSing Sing and Nyack College in New York Times Feature
- Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
- Mandela Day Celebration at Nyack
- Storm Glautier Named CACC Rep to the National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Browse Blog Archive>>