Nyack's Welcome Mat for Hungary
Nyack College continues to advance its objective of being a good neighbor in the communities surrounding its campuses and beyond. Earl Miller, Nyack’s executive director of community relations, collaborated with Chuck Maze, Rockland YMCA CEO, to welcome guests from the town of Mosonmagyaróvár in northwestern Hungary.
The group visited the Nyack Rockland campus to experience the higher education environment. For several years Mr. Miller and Mr. Maze have hosted groups like this one under the auspices of Atlantic Bridge, a non-profit organization founded by Nyack alumnus, John Oostydyk, and his wife, Donna who are former staff members of Youth For Christ (YFC). After their tenure with YFC, they established Atlantic Bridge, under the slogan “building bridges and breaking down walls.” (Click here for more information.)
The group that visited Nyack today included several graduates of Kossuth Lajos Gimnázium and an educator, Barbara Hohner, who was once their teacher at the Hungarian public school equivalent to an American high school.
In addition to a tour of the campus and lunch in Boon Campus Center, the group gathered in The Hub for casual conversation with Nyack faculty and staff. Mrs. Carol Ann Freeman, administrative assistant to President Michael Scales, who visits Hungary for short term missions twice each year, kicked off the discussion of their homeland. Mr. Miller facilitated a brief dialogue about their cultural exchange. Associate Registrar Jamila Wright shared a candid personal testimony of her journey to embracing Christianity. The campus visit concluded with a musical performance by School of Music professors, Dr. Tammy Lum and Dr. Marie Herseth Kenote.
- Wednesday: October 23--Velocity! Debuts at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Unearthing Magdala--Nyack College Conference for Interfaith Scholars
- RELEASE: Official Nyack Statement on Ebola
- October 17: Nyack's School of Social Work and Community Connections for Youth Release Report
- Steinway Piano Dedication With Steinway & Sons President Ron Losby and CD-60 Biographer James Barron
- Miovski and Mansfield Families Music Hall Dedicated at Nyack NYC Campus
- Official Nyack College Statement Regarding Unknown Man on Campus September 23
- Anti-Human Trafficking Art Exhibit with Susan Clinthorne and Sally Thielen at Nyack Rockland
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Browse Blog Archive>>