RELEASE: Three May 2014 Honorary Doctorates to Be Conferred
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will hold commencement exercises for nearly 700 graduates, including the hooding of the first graduating class of the Doctor of Ministry program. The ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center (pictured above) located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. This year’s commencement will also acknowledge the 25th anniversary of The School of Business and Leadership’s Division of Adult Education Programs.
The Doctor of Letters will be awarded to Mark Burnett and his wife, Roma Downey, co-producers of the 20th Century Fox film “Son of God” and to Lord Edmiston, member of the British Parliament. In addition, they will be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction at a pre-commencement brunch which takes place at 9:30 a.m. at the Tarrytown House Estate, also in Westchester County. The Hall of Distinction was established in 2008 by Nyack’s 12th president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, an annual tradition that commemorates the doctoral honorees and others of outstanding public influence.
Five-time Emmy Award winner Mark Burnett has produced more than 2,400 hours of television programming, which regularly airs in more than 70 countries worldwide. Currently, Burnett’s network series include "Survivor" (CBS), "The Voice" (NBC), "The Celebrity Apprentice" (NBC), “Shark Tank” (ABC), and “Trust Me, I’m a Game Show Host” (TBS). Burnett is one of very few producers to have had a renewed series on each of the four major networks and to have multiple series win their time slot on five nights of television in the same week. The dynamic couple’s recent blockbuster is a follow-up project to their March 2013, ten-hour miniseries “The Bible,” which premiered on the History Channel.
A celebrated, Emmy-nominated actress and producer Roma Downey is best known for her nine seasons as the tender-hearted angel, Monica, on the hit CBS television show "Touched by an Angel." She plays the role of Mary, mother of Jesus in “Son of God” and in “The Bible.” Ms. Downey was in the leading role of Jackie Kennedy Onassis in the Emmy award-winning six hour miniseries for NBC “A Woman Named Jackie.”
Until 2010, Lord Edmiston was the Chairman of the Midlands Industrial Council, a group of leading Midlands industrialists and businessmen who maintain a close dialogue with senior politicians. On January 18, 2011, he was introduced into the House of Lords, which provides a platform for him to be a voice in politics, as well as business and social issues. Lord Edmiston and his wife, Tracie, are the founders of a charitable trust called Christian Vision that operates in several countries, where they spearhead charitable and Christian media projects.
In the week leading up to commencement day, hooding ceremonies for graduate level divisions and baccalaureate services for undergraduates will be held at various locations for the Nyack College Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates.
For information on commencement, click here.
- Brightnie Jones ('09) Moves on as a Top All-Star Vocalist on BET's Sunday Best
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- Brightnie Jones Back in BET's "Sunday Best" Vocal Competition
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Fall 2015 Launch for School of Social Work's New MSW Program at Nyack
- Nursing School Students Volunteer at Walter Hoving Home
- Lauren Lebo, NCAA Division II Lacrosse Champ
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Nyack Clergy Association Hosts a Memorial Service for Charleston Nine
- Nyack's Moseley Field Turns Heliport for New York's Governor
- Nyack Softball Players Make CACC All-Academic Team
- Nyack College Students in National Masterworks Festival Chorus at Carnegie Hall
- New Major at Nyack: BA in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Rock-o-Nomix Team: You Voted! They Won!
- New York City Fish Count
- 2015 Empower Ceremony
- Browse Blog Archive>>