Alliance Theological Seminary Milestone: First Successful Dissertation Defense
Today, March 17, Rev. Gershwin Grant, the first Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) candidate successfully defended his dissertation, "Evaluating a Spiritually Formed Prayer Immersion Program for Members of the Conservative Baptist Church." This milestone event took place at the Rockland County campus of the seminary. Dr. Ronald Walborn, ATS dean, moderated the oral defense, which was overseen by Dr. Frank Chan, coordinator for D.Min. dissertations.
Pictured above are (l-r) Dr. Paul de Vries, Dr. Ronald Walborn, Rev. Gershwin Grant, Mrs. Cynthia Grant, Dr. Torrey Robinson, and Dr. Frank Chan.
Born in London, England, Gershwin Francis Emmanuel Grant and his family moved to New York City when he was just a teenager. While attending the New York Institute of Technology to earn a degree in architecture, he became a Christian. Five years into his career as an architect, he pursued a career change to ministry by studying evenings and weekends at the New York School of the Bible, Seminary of the East, and Alliance Theological Seminary, while still employed by WYS Design Architects.
Rev. Grant has served as pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Ossining, NY since 2003.
The dissertation committee included Dr. Paul de Vries, president of the New York Divinity School, who is also pastor of Immanuel Community Church in Manhattan and Dr. Torrey Robinson, pastor of First Baptist Church of Tarrytown.
Congratulations to Rev. and Mrs. Grant!
ABOUT THE DOCTOR OF MINISTRY PROGRAM AT ALLIANCE THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
The Doctor of Ministry is the first doctoral program offered at Nyack/ATS. The three year program has seven different cohorts in progress. More than 90 students are active in the program. Students range in age from 28 to 60+ years. They hail from more than 30 different countries and from more than 20 different denominations.
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Browse Blog Archive>>