Alliance Theological Seminary Milestone: First Successful Dissertation Defense
Today, March 17, Rev. Gershwin Grant, the first Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) candidate successfully defended his dissertation, "Evaluating a Spiritually Formed Prayer Immersion Program for Members of the Conservative Baptist Church." This milestone event took place at the Rockland County campus of the seminary. Dr. Ronald Walborn, ATS dean, moderated the oral defense, which was overseen by Dr. Frank Chan, coordinator for D.Min. dissertations.
Pictured above are (l-r) Dr. Paul de Vries, Dr. Ronald Walborn, Rev. Gershwin Grant, Mrs. Cynthia Grant, Dr. Torrey Robinson, and Dr. Frank Chan.
Born in London, England, Gershwin Francis Emmanuel Grant and his family moved to New York City when he was just a teenager. While attending the New York Institute of Technology to earn a degree in architecture, he became a Christian. Five years into his career as an architect, he pursued a career change to ministry by studying evenings and weekends at the New York School of the Bible, Seminary of the East, and Alliance Theological Seminary, while still employed by WYS Design Architects.
Rev. Grant has served as pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Ossining, NY since 2003.
The dissertation committee included Dr. Paul de Vries, president of the New York Divinity School, who is also pastor of Immanuel Community Church in Manhattan and Dr. Torrey Robinson, pastor of First Baptist Church of Tarrytown.
Congratulations to Rev. and Mrs. Grant!
ABOUT THE DOCTOR OF MINISTRY PROGRAM AT ALLIANCE THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
The Doctor of Ministry is the first doctoral program offered at Nyack/ATS. The three year program has seven different cohorts in progress. More than 90 students are active in the program. Students range in age from 28 to 60+ years. They hail from more than 30 different countries and from more than 20 different denominations.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>