Alliance Theological Seminary Milestone: First Successful Dissertation Defense
Today, March 17, Rev. Gershwin Grant, the first Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) candidate successfully defended his dissertation, "Evaluating a Spiritually Formed Prayer Immersion Program for Members of the Conservative Baptist Church." This milestone event took place at the Rockland County campus of the seminary. Dr. Ronald Walborn, ATS dean, moderated the oral defense, which was overseen by Dr. Frank Chan, coordinator for D.Min. dissertations.
Pictured above are (l-r) Dr. Paul de Vries, Dr. Ronald Walborn, Rev. Gershwin Grant, Mrs. Cynthia Grant, Dr. Torrey Robinson, and Dr. Frank Chan.
Born in London, England, Gershwin Francis Emmanuel Grant and his family moved to New York City when he was just a teenager. While attending the New York Institute of Technology to earn a degree in architecture, he became a Christian. Five years into his career as an architect, he pursued a career change to ministry by studying evenings and weekends at the New York School of the Bible, Seminary of the East, and Alliance Theological Seminary, while still employed by WYS Design Architects.
Rev. Grant has served as pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Ossining, NY since 2003.
The dissertation committee included Dr. Paul de Vries, president of the New York Divinity School, who is also pastor of Immanuel Community Church in Manhattan and Dr. Torrey Robinson, pastor of First Baptist Church of Tarrytown.
Congratulations to Rev. and Mrs. Grant!
ABOUT THE DOCTOR OF MINISTRY PROGRAM AT ALLIANCE THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
The Doctor of Ministry is the first doctoral program offered at Nyack/ATS. The three year program has seven different cohorts in progress. More than 90 students are active in the program. Students range in age from 28 to 60+ years. They hail from more than 30 different countries and from more than 20 different denominations.
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>