Prayer for East Harlem Explosion Victims and Family
The campus community of Nyack College is praying for the victims, survivors, and the families affected by the explosion and collapse of two buildings yesterday morning in East Harlem.
Dr. Martin Sanders, director of the Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) program at Alliance Theological Seminary reports that D.Min. student, Bishop Carlton Brown, senior pastor of Bethel Gospel Assembly in Harlem, was two and half blocks away when the explosion occurred. Bishop Brown and his ministry team mobilized and were on the scene from 10:00 a.m. to respond as needs in the community were reported. He has subsequently had to report the loss of two members of his congregation. Click here to read Wall Street Journal coverage.
In addition, Dr. Mayra Lopez-Humphreys, a Nyack College New York City assistant professor of social work and her husband, Rev. Jose Humphreys, who lead Metro Hope Church in Harlem were an integral part of a prayer vigil last night held at Church of God at 2153 Third Avenue, where Rev. Humphreys read the names of the missing.
Metro Hope Church's outreach, Hope House, has taken in one family displaced by the explosion and has provided meals to first responders. Hope House is located a few blocks from the scene of the explosion. A New York Times report on the event can be found here.
Dr. Lopez-Humphreys shared the following avenues for community outreach:
The Micah Institute has identified the following opportunities for churches and individuals that are seeking to support and contribute to the relief effort:
116th & Park Relief Care Packages
First Corinthian Baptist Church is assembling care packages for displaced families. Donations should include food, water, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, blankets, sheets, towels, wash rags, clothing, first aid kits, shoes, socks, soap, hats, gloves, scarves, belts, board games, umbrellas, and rain coats. Please direct questions to Rev. Willie Francois, email@example.com and 409-939-1818.
If you are able to house families, please contact Sam McClendon, who is coordinating this effort for Matthew Washington, Chair of Community Board 11 at firstname.lastname@example.org Office: +1 212 281 4876 | Cell: +1 347 806 3068
Click here for information on local fundraising efforts to directly support those impacted by the explosion.
Please pray for all impacted by the tragedy as well as for the first responders and emergency professionals who continue to work at the scene of the explosion.
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Remembering Dr. Rexford Boda, President Emeritus (1933-2017)
- Dr. Marie White Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- Summertime Prayer
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Browse Blog Archive>>