Prayer for East Harlem Explosion Victims and Family
The campus community of Nyack College is praying for the victims, survivors, and the families affected by the explosion and collapse of two buildings yesterday morning in East Harlem.
Dr. Martin Sanders, director of the Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) program at Alliance Theological Seminary reports that D.Min. student, Bishop Carlton Brown, senior pastor of Bethel Gospel Assembly in Harlem, was two and half blocks away when the explosion occurred. Bishop Brown and his ministry team mobilized and were on the scene from 10:00 a.m. to respond as needs in the community were reported. He has subsequently had to report the loss of two members of his congregation. Click here to read Wall Street Journal coverage.
In addition, Dr. Mayra Lopez-Humphreys, a Nyack College New York City assistant professor of social work and her husband, Rev. Jose Humphreys, who lead Metro Hope Church in Harlem were an integral part of a prayer vigil last night held at Church of God at 2153 Third Avenue, where Rev. Humphreys read the names of the missing.
Metro Hope Church's outreach, Hope House, has taken in one family displaced by the explosion and has provided meals to first responders. Hope House is located a few blocks from the scene of the explosion. A New York Times report on the event can be found here.
Dr. Lopez-Humphreys shared the following avenues for community outreach:
The Micah Institute has identified the following opportunities for churches and individuals that are seeking to support and contribute to the relief effort:
116th & Park Relief Care Packages
First Corinthian Baptist Church is assembling care packages for displaced families. Donations should include food, water, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, blankets, sheets, towels, wash rags, clothing, first aid kits, shoes, socks, soap, hats, gloves, scarves, belts, board games, umbrellas, and rain coats. Please direct questions to Rev. Willie Francois, email@example.com and 409-939-1818.
If you are able to house families, please contact Sam McClendon, who is coordinating this effort for Matthew Washington, Chair of Community Board 11 at firstname.lastname@example.org Office: +1 212 281 4876 | Cell: +1 347 806 3068
Click here for information on local fundraising efforts to directly support those impacted by the explosion.
Please pray for all impacted by the tragedy as well as for the first responders and emergency professionals who continue to work at the scene of the explosion.
- Nyack Alumnus Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Tappan Zee Bridge Evening Travel Advisory May 18-22
- 2015 Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
- Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
- A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
- ACL Student Research Award Winner
- New Beta Psi Chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society Members Inducted
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2015 Commencement
- Gone Fishing...
- A Day of Master Classes and Music Clinics for High School Music Students from Michigan
- Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
- Men's Golf Team Headed to 2015 NCAA Championship Competition
- Two Operas! Two Days! Prof. Shelley Jameson, Director
- LAST WEEKEND for Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- Browse Blog Archive>>