Nyack Students Chosen for Science Education Alliance Publication
Nearly two years ago Nyack College was selected through a competitive application process to join the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA). HHMI is a non-profit organization that advances biomedical research and science education, one of the largest privately funded philanthropies in our nation. (Learn more here). Last year, Nyack College was one of a select few out of more than 70 institutions invited to give an oral presentation at the 2013 National SEA-PHAGES Symposium.
As a part of Nyack’s membership in the Science Education Alliance (SEA), students are involved in the prestigious National Genomics Research initiative. The SEA Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science, or SEA-PHAGES is the foundation for a national experiment in bacteriophage genomics. Students isolate, name, sequence, and analyze newly-discovered mycobacteriophages which are viruses that infect bacteria, making significant contributions to the field of genomics.
Nyack biology professors, Dr. Jacqueline Washington and Dr. Peter Park, were recently notified that Nyack students were selected to be featured in this year’s Symposium Program Book for the SEA-PHAGES project.
The project is led by Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA) Professor Graham Hatfull and his lab at the University of Pittsburgh and by members of HHMI’s Undergraduate and Graduate Programs group.
Since 2008, the SEA-PHAGES community has offered undergraduate student research experience in lab classes. The SEA-PHAGES course offers students ownership of a project, the opportunity to publish and contribute to the scientific community and the ability to measure progress.
Congratulations to Dr. Washington and Dr. Park for their exemplary leadership and investment in our students!
- RELEASE: Steinway Piano Dedication With Author/NY Times Reporter James Barron
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- RELEASE: October 20 Unearthing Magdala, An Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins Conference
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
- India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- On the Passing of Mrs. Dianna Sanders
- Browse Blog Archive>>