Nyack Students Chosen for Science Education Alliance Publication
Nearly two years ago Nyack College was selected through a competitive application process to join the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA). HHMI is a non-profit organization that advances biomedical research and science education, one of the largest privately funded philanthropies in our nation. (Learn more here). Last year, Nyack College was one of a select few out of more than 70 institutions invited to give an oral presentation at the 2013 National SEA-PHAGES Symposium.
As a part of Nyack’s membership in the Science Education Alliance (SEA), students are involved in the prestigious National Genomics Research initiative. The SEA Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science, or SEA-PHAGES is the foundation for a national experiment in bacteriophage genomics. Students isolate, name, sequence, and analyze newly-discovered mycobacteriophages which are viruses that infect bacteria, making significant contributions to the field of genomics.
Nyack biology professors, Dr. Jacqueline Washington and Dr. Peter Park, were recently notified that Nyack students were selected to be featured in this year’s Symposium Program Book for the SEA-PHAGES project.
The project is led by Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA) Professor Graham Hatfull and his lab at the University of Pittsburgh and by members of HHMI’s Undergraduate and Graduate Programs group.
Since 2008, the SEA-PHAGES community has offered undergraduate student research experience in lab classes. The SEA-PHAGES course offers students ownership of a project, the opportunity to publish and contribute to the scientific community and the ability to measure progress.
Congratulations to Dr. Washington and Dr. Park for their exemplary leadership and investment in our students!
- Nyack Baseball Team Collecting Baseball Gloves for Sports Clinic in Mexico
- Global Service-Learning 2015
- Peace and Hope Visit Nyack Rockland
- Hudson Link, TEDxSing Sing and Nyack College in New York Times Feature
- Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
- Mandela Day Celebration at Nyack
- Storm Glautier Named CACC Rep to the National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Browse Blog Archive>>