CLA Results for Nyack College
The Council for Aid to Education's Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA) 2009-2013 Phase 3 Longitudinal Report on Nyack College revealed tremendous results. Nyack's Assistant Provost Dr. Bennett Schepens (pictured above) shared the following observations on critical thinking and written communication of Nyack College students.
A liberal arts education is valuable for more than the major a student chooses. The student also experiences a wide variety of courses that are intended to give a broad range of knowledge.
One of the goals of a Nyack College education is to provide students with multiple opportunities to develop writing skills and critical thinking. This involves writing evidence based essays, presenting a point of view and critically evaluating the point of view of others.
Nyack College has tracked the writing skills and critical thinking of students over the last four years. Students were given an assessment of the skills as entering freshmen, second semester sophomores and second semester seniors. The assessment, called the Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA), “is designed to measure an institution’s contribution, or value added, to the development of higher order skills.”* The CLA also allows comparison to other institutions of higher education.
The results for Nyack College students were reported in three phases. Gains from testing in phase one to two were reported as Above Expected, phase two to three as Near Expected and overall gains from phase one to three as Well Above Expected. In simple terms Nyack College students value added scores were higher than 95% of other institution’s students from the first year to the last.
The response to these results is not one of self-satisfaction on the part of the faculty. New writing intensive courses are being designed in each major. Critical thinking is being encouraged in all courses with college wide faculty training last year. A new focus on critical thinking in each major is taking place over the next several years. Many of the courses have already been taught with a new focus on these skills and many others in the effort to provide a broad based education for all students.
* CLA 2009-2013 Phase 3 Longitudinal Report for Nyack College.
Bennett Schepens, Ph.D.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Boxer Donut & Expresso Bar Owned by 2012 Nyack Alumnus, Eric Brown
- Browse Blog Archive>>