Celebrating the Legacy of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) and the Office of Community Relations with Rockland County’s Holocaust Museum and Study Center will present “The Dietrich Bonhoeffer Event at Nyack College on Monday, December 3, 185 South Highland Avenue in Nyack. This celebration of Bonhoeffer’s legacy of Christian scholarship, courage, and social concern will take place with several events in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus.
This daylong event was rescheduled due to the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
The agenda is as follows:
3:00 p.m. The Audio Experience. Shuman Hall, Second Floor Conference Room. This audio presentation will be facilitated by Ms. Lisa Stenchever, education director at the Holocaust Museum and Study Center in Spring Valley, NY (For more information on the Center, visit www.holocauststudies.org). Called “The Hiding,” the audio exhibit allows participants to “listen in” on the conversation of a family in hiding during the Holocaust.
4:00 p.m. Testimony of Mr. Alan Moskin, a World War II veteran and former commander of the Rockland/Orange District Council of the Jewish War Veterans will speak in Presidents Hall (also in Shuman Hall) Moskin was a part of General George Patton’s Third Army, a member of the 66th Infantry, 71st Division. In May 1945, his company helped liberate Gunskirchen concentration camp survivors.
5:00 p.m. The Audio Experience will be repeated. Shuman Hall, Second Floor Conference Room
6:00 p.m. Bonhoeffer, The Film followed by a panel discussion. Shot on location in Germany and the United States, this film features interviews with family members, friends, students, and associates who knew Bonhoeffer, the German theologian renowned for his stand against Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party, which ultimately cost him his life in a Nazi concentration camp.
Panelists are Dr. Ronald Belsterling, Nyack College professor of Youth and Family Studies; Mr. Jaime Castaner Weiss, Allliance Theological Seminary, M.Div candidate; Ms. Lisa Stenchever, Holocaust Museum and Study Center education director. The discussion will be moderated by Dr. Nina Balmaceda, CSGE director.
7:50 p.m. Interfaith Choir performance
For more information, phone Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement at 845.675.4582.
- YouVersion Founder Bobby Gruenewald Calls Nyack/ATS Grads World Changers
- Nyack Student Government Recognizes Campus Leaders
- Commencement Guests Share Appreciation for Nyack's Mission
- Celebrating Commencement 2016
- Parents of Youth 7-18! Check Out Summer Sports Camps at Nyack
- Zahir Edwards (1996-2016)...President Scales Pays Tribute to a Nyack Warrior
- Nyack Represented at Education Financing Forum
- Nyack Students and Faculty Perform in Musikabend
- Meet Dr. Peter Park at the World Science Festival's Great Fish Count
- Nyack's 2016 Year-End Faculty/Staff Luncheon and Awards
- Nyack College 2016 Honorary Degree Recipient Featured in "The Village"
- The 2016 Celebration of Woman
- Nyack NYC School of Music Profs and Student in Jazz on the Plaza!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement at the Westchester County Center
- Meet Nyack's 2016 Valedictorians!
- Battery Park Campus Now Owned by Nyack College
- A Celebration of Pentecost at Bedford Community Church
- Dr. David Ireland, Rockland County Day of Prayer Keynote Speaker
- Just Released! The Fine Print 2016
- Celebrating Nyack Honor Society Students
- Last Weekend Performances of Mozart's "The Magic Flute"
- West Side Story in Lower Manhattan
- Nyack Doing Community Well: Loving Our Neighbor
- Nyack's Inaugural Social Work Graduate Research Colloquium
- PRAXIS Connections Dinner for Emerging Leaders at Nyack NYC
- Browse Blog Archive>>