Celebrating the Legacy of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) and the Office of Community Relations with Rockland County’s Holocaust Museum and Study Center will present “The Dietrich Bonhoeffer Event at Nyack College on Monday, December 3, 185 South Highland Avenue in Nyack. This celebration of Bonhoeffer’s legacy of Christian scholarship, courage, and social concern will take place with several events in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus.
This daylong event was rescheduled due to the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
The agenda is as follows:
3:00 p.m. The Audio Experience. Shuman Hall, Second Floor Conference Room. This audio presentation will be facilitated by Ms. Lisa Stenchever, education director at the Holocaust Museum and Study Center in Spring Valley, NY (For more information on the Center, visit www.holocauststudies.org). Called “The Hiding,” the audio exhibit allows participants to “listen in” on the conversation of a family in hiding during the Holocaust.
4:00 p.m. Testimony of Mr. Alan Moskin, a World War II veteran and former commander of the Rockland/Orange District Council of the Jewish War Veterans will speak in Presidents Hall (also in Shuman Hall) Moskin was a part of General George Patton’s Third Army, a member of the 66th Infantry, 71st Division. In May 1945, his company helped liberate Gunskirchen concentration camp survivors.
5:00 p.m. The Audio Experience will be repeated. Shuman Hall, Second Floor Conference Room
6:00 p.m. Bonhoeffer, The Film followed by a panel discussion. Shot on location in Germany and the United States, this film features interviews with family members, friends, students, and associates who knew Bonhoeffer, the German theologian renowned for his stand against Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party, which ultimately cost him his life in a Nazi concentration camp.
Panelists are Dr. Ronald Belsterling, Nyack College professor of Youth and Family Studies; Mr. Jaime Castaner Weiss, Allliance Theological Seminary, M.Div candidate; Ms. Lisa Stenchever, Holocaust Museum and Study Center education director. The discussion will be moderated by Dr. Nina Balmaceda, CSGE director.
7:50 p.m. Interfaith Choir performance
For more information, phone Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement at 845.675.4582.
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>