Distinguished Christian Scholars at Nyack/ATS Faculty Retreat
Faculty of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) will convene for an annual retreat on August 27-28 at the Rockland County, NY campus hosted by Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement. The Center is directed by Dr. Vilma “Nina” Balmaceda.
Headlining the event will be two of our nation’s leading Christian scholars. Nyack College and ATS professors will also be featured in a special faculty presentation and two special moderated panels.
On Monday, August 27 in the chapel of Alliance Theological Seminary, 350 North Highland Ave. in Nyack, Dr. Joel Carpenter (pictured above) will present his keynote address, "Faithful Scholarship in an Age of World Christianity." Dr. Carpenter is the director of the Nagel Institute for the Study of World Christianity at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI and the former provost of Calvin College (1996-2006). Prior to this post, he was director of the religion program at Pew Charitable Trusts for seven years.
He received his Ph.D. in history from Johns Hopkins University. His area of expertise is religious history and the transformation of global Christianity. His latest work is Walking Together: Christian Thinking and Public Life in South Africa (ACU Press, 2012). Other publications by Dr. Carpenter include The Changing Face of Christianity: Africa, the West, and the World (Oxford, 2005) co-edited with Lamin Sanneh; a chapter, "The Christian Scholar in an Age of World Christianity," in the book, Christianity and the Soul of the University, (Douglas Henry and Michael Beaty, Eds. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2006); and his award-winning study, Revive Us Again: The Reawakening of American Fundamentalism (Oxford, 1997).
Following Dr. Carpenter’s address, two panels will be presented featuring Nyack/ATS faculty.
Panel One, 11:00 a.m. - “How do we advance Christian scholarship in the sciences?”
Dr. Frank, Chan, professor of theology; Dr. Michael Huster, professor of physics; Dr. Peter Park, assistant professor of biology; and Dr. Jacqueline Washington, professor of biology are the panelists. Dr. Richard Gathro, special assistant to President Michael G. Scales will serve as moderator.
Panel Two, 2:45 p.m. - “How do we advance Christian scholarship in theology and make it relevant for future generations?”
Featured panelists are Dr. Vilma “Nina” Balmaceda, associate professor of political science; Dr. Luis Carlo, associate dean, Alliance Theological Seminary, NYC campus; Dr. Martin Sanders, director of the Doctor Ministry program; and Dr. Ron Walborn, dean of Alliance Theological Seminary.
Dr. James Danaher, a Nyack professor of philosophy will present, “Jesus After Modernity: A 21st Century Critique of our Modern Concept of Truth and the Truth of the Gospel” on Monday at 1:30 p.m. A response to the presentation will be given by Mr. Udo Middelmann, LLM, MA, CSGE International Scholars in Residence.
Tuesday, August 28, Dr. Peter A. Facione, head of Measured Reasons LLC, a Los Angeles based research and consulting firm supporting excellence in teaching will present a keynote speech, “Teaching For and About Critical Thinking,” in the auditorium of Nyack College’s Pardington Hall, 45 South Boulevard in Nyack. The former provost of Loyola University Chicago and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Santa Clara University (pictured at left) is also the author of numerous books on critical thinking. Dr. Facione has addressed the topic of critical thinking at dozens of universities around the world. He is known as an engaging, innovative, and humorous presenter.
Visit http://www.nyack.edu./2012/CSGE to learn more about the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>