Distinguished Christian Scholars at Nyack/ATS Faculty Retreat
Faculty of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) will convene for an annual retreat on August 27-28 at the Rockland County, NY campus hosted by Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement. The Center is directed by Dr. Vilma “Nina” Balmaceda.
Headlining the event will be two of our nation’s leading Christian scholars. Nyack College and ATS professors will also be featured in a special faculty presentation and two special moderated panels.
On Monday, August 27 in the chapel of Alliance Theological Seminary, 350 North Highland Ave. in Nyack, Dr. Joel Carpenter (pictured above) will present his keynote address, "Faithful Scholarship in an Age of World Christianity." Dr. Carpenter is the director of the Nagel Institute for the Study of World Christianity at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI and the former provost of Calvin College (1996-2006). Prior to this post, he was director of the religion program at Pew Charitable Trusts for seven years.
He received his Ph.D. in history from Johns Hopkins University. His area of expertise is religious history and the transformation of global Christianity. His latest work is Walking Together: Christian Thinking and Public Life in South Africa (ACU Press, 2012). Other publications by Dr. Carpenter include The Changing Face of Christianity: Africa, the West, and the World (Oxford, 2005) co-edited with Lamin Sanneh; a chapter, "The Christian Scholar in an Age of World Christianity," in the book, Christianity and the Soul of the University, (Douglas Henry and Michael Beaty, Eds. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2006); and his award-winning study, Revive Us Again: The Reawakening of American Fundamentalism (Oxford, 1997).
Following Dr. Carpenter’s address, two panels will be presented featuring Nyack/ATS faculty.
Panel One, 11:00 a.m. - “How do we advance Christian scholarship in the sciences?”
Dr. Frank, Chan, professor of theology; Dr. Michael Huster, professor of physics; Dr. Peter Park, assistant professor of biology; and Dr. Jacqueline Washington, professor of biology are the panelists. Dr. Richard Gathro, special assistant to President Michael G. Scales will serve as moderator.
Panel Two, 2:45 p.m. - “How do we advance Christian scholarship in theology and make it relevant for future generations?”
Featured panelists are Dr. Vilma “Nina” Balmaceda, associate professor of political science; Dr. Luis Carlo, associate dean, Alliance Theological Seminary, NYC campus; Dr. Martin Sanders, director of the Doctor Ministry program; and Dr. Ron Walborn, dean of Alliance Theological Seminary.
Dr. James Danaher, a Nyack professor of philosophy will present, “Jesus After Modernity: A 21st Century Critique of our Modern Concept of Truth and the Truth of the Gospel” on Monday at 1:30 p.m. A response to the presentation will be given by Mr. Udo Middelmann, LLM, MA, CSGE International Scholars in Residence.
Tuesday, August 28, Dr. Peter A. Facione, head of Measured Reasons LLC, a Los Angeles based research and consulting firm supporting excellence in teaching will present a keynote speech, “Teaching For and About Critical Thinking,” in the auditorium of Nyack College’s Pardington Hall, 45 South Boulevard in Nyack. The former provost of Loyola University Chicago and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Santa Clara University (pictured at left) is also the author of numerous books on critical thinking. Dr. Facione has addressed the topic of critical thinking at dozens of universities around the world. He is known as an engaging, innovative, and humorous presenter.
Visit http://www.nyack.edu./2012/CSGE to learn more about the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement.
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack.edu Redesign Debuts
- JULY 11: Hope to See You in Central Park!
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Nyack Clergy Association Hosts a Memorial Service for Charleston Nine
- Nyack's Moseley Field Turns Heliport for New York's Governor
- Nyack Softball Players Make CACC All-Academic Team
- Nyack College Students in National Masterworks Festival Chorus at Carnegie Hall
- New Major at Nyack: BA in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Rock-o-Nomix Team: You Voted! They Won!
- New York City Fish Count
- 2015 Empower Ceremony
- 2015 Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
- Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
- A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
- ACL Student Research Award Winner
- New Beta Psi Chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society Members Inducted
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2015 Commencement
- Browse Blog Archive>>