Academy Award-Winning Director Visits Nyack MSOL Class
Master of Science in Organizational Leadership Professor Al Hundley recently welcomed a special campus guest speaker for his MSOL students--Jonathan Demme, director, filmmaker and producer. Demme is best known for winning the Academy Award for Best Director for the film, “The Silence of the Lambs.”
Mr. Demme engaged the Rockland MSOL students in a film review and discussion about his upcoming documentary “I’m Carolyn Parker: The Good, the Mad, and the Beautiful,” which will air on television in the fall. Dr. Underwood, dean of the School of Business and Leadership shares, “After we reviewed the film, we discussed it and tied it into the course work and the faith and spirituality of the character, Carolyn Parker.”
The documentary follows the life of a resident of the Ninth Ward in New Orleans for a period of five years after Hurricane Katrina. Says Demme of his project, “After Carolyn’s house was flooded and she endeavored to rebuild her home after the waters subsided, I was privileged to gain her permission to keep track of her progress. I didn't know at the time that these filming visits would stretch over the next five years, including 21 visits. Nor did I realize what an amazing portrait of an "ordinary" American would emerge over time. The film changed from a record of reclaiming her home into a documentary about a truly extraordinary woman."
See more on the film here.
- Saturday, October 25--U of Pittsburgh Welcomes ATS Dean Ron Walborn for Bridge Forum: A Livestreamed Event!
- OCT 25: Dr. R. Steven Notley Featured Lecturer at Lanier Theological Library in Houston, TX
- OCT 29 & 31: Auditions for Spring 2015 Production of "The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon"
- NOV. 6 Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- NOV. 5-6: Dr. Kevin Danaher is Fall 2014 Nyack 's Scholars Symposium Plenary Speaker
- Velocity! Debuts at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Unearthing Magdala--Nyack College Conference for Interfaith Scholars
- RELEASE: Official Nyack Statement on Ebola
- October 17: Nyack's School of Social Work and Community Connections for Youth Release Report
- Steinway Piano Dedication With Steinway & Sons President Ron Losby and CD-60 Biographer James Barron
- Miovski and Mansfield Families Music Hall Dedicated at Nyack NYC Campus
- Official Nyack College Statement Regarding Unknown Man on Campus September 23
- Anti-Human Trafficking Art Exhibit with Susan Clinthorne and Sally Thielen at Nyack Rockland
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- Browse Blog Archive>>