Academy Award-Winning Director Visits Nyack MSOL Class
Master of Science in Organizational Leadership Professor Al Hundley recently welcomed a special campus guest speaker for his MSOL students--Jonathan Demme, director, filmmaker and producer. Demme is best known for winning the Academy Award for Best Director for the film, “The Silence of the Lambs.”
Mr. Demme engaged the Rockland MSOL students in a film review and discussion about his upcoming documentary “I’m Carolyn Parker: The Good, the Mad, and the Beautiful,” which will air on television in the fall. Dr. Underwood, dean of the School of Business and Leadership shares, “After we reviewed the film, we discussed it and tied it into the course work and the faith and spirituality of the character, Carolyn Parker.”
The documentary follows the life of a resident of the Ninth Ward in New Orleans for a period of five years after Hurricane Katrina. Says Demme of his project, “After Carolyn’s house was flooded and she endeavored to rebuild her home after the waters subsided, I was privileged to gain her permission to keep track of her progress. I didn't know at the time that these filming visits would stretch over the next five years, including 21 visits. Nor did I realize what an amazing portrait of an "ordinary" American would emerge over time. The film changed from a record of reclaiming her home into a documentary about a truly extraordinary woman."
See more on the film here.
- FEB 21: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Browse Blog Archive>>