Remembering Mrs. Joyce Wentz Bailey (1922-2012)
South Nyack resident Mrs. Joyce Wentz Bailey passed away Sunday, July 29. She was the daughter of the late Lloyd Wentz and Marie Moore Wentz. Mrs. Bailey was the wife of Dr. Thomas Bailey, Nyack College president (1975-1982) and Nyack College professor emeritus.
An alumna of Taylor University, it was at Taylor that she met her husband and they were married while he was serving as an officer during World War II. After the war, they settled briefly in New York City until her husband accepted a position as an Instructor at Nyack College. They moved to Nyack in 1947.
Joyce received her master's degree from Hunter College and accepted a position teaching in the Nyack Middle School. She did further graduate work at New York University and began teaching at Nyack High School.
She was an active member of the Nyack Community Ambulance and served on its Board. She was also an active volunteer for the local branch of the American Red Cross, teaching CPR and First Aid and running blood drives. Joyce was an avid gardener and had a Nyack Village Community Garden for many years. She was active in the Rockland County Christian Women's Club. She loved sports, followed the Mets closely, bowled and maintained a lifelong interest in tennis. She was a member of Living Christ Church in Nyack, NY.
Joyce had a lovely alto singing voice and was part of a touring trio in churches throughout her college years. She traveled extensively in Europe while her husband served in the occupation Army and traveled in Asia after they retired.
She is survived by her husband of 68 years, Thomas P. Bailey, Sr., a son, Tom Bailey, Jr. and his wife, Sharon, all of South Nyack, a daughter Ruth B. Cottle of New Jersey, a daughter, Deborah Bailey-Graff and her husband Kerry of Valley Cottage, NY and a son, Michael G. Bailey, Esq and his wife, the Honorable Cynthia Bailey of Phoenix, AZ.
She loved and delighted in her grandchildren, Jonathan Cottle, Jason Cottle, Thomas Bailey III, Katharine Graff, Connor Graff, Alexander Graff, Annie Bailey and Erin Bailey. She is also survived by five great grandchildren.
She is also survived by her brother Eldon Wentz of Columbus, IN, and her stepsisters and stepbrothers, Margaret Benak, Carolyn Pethoud, Marilyn Skinner, Martha Ashba, David Davies and Thomas Davies.
A funeral service will be held at Living Christ Church, 150 Piermont Avenue in Nyack, NY on Friday, August 3 at 10:00 am with interment following in Oak Hill Cemetery also in Nyack. Friends and relatives may call at Hannemann Funeral Home, 88 South Broadway, Nyack on Thursday, 2-4 PM and 7-9 PM.
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Browse Blog Archive>>