Remembering Mrs. Joyce Wentz Bailey (1922-2012)
South Nyack resident Mrs. Joyce Wentz Bailey passed away Sunday, July 29. She was the daughter of the late Lloyd Wentz and Marie Moore Wentz. Mrs. Bailey was the wife of Dr. Thomas Bailey, Nyack College president (1975-1982) and Nyack College professor emeritus.
An alumna of Taylor University, it was at Taylor that she met her husband and they were married while he was serving as an officer during World War II. After the war, they settled briefly in New York City until her husband accepted a position as an Instructor at Nyack College. They moved to Nyack in 1947.
Joyce received her master's degree from Hunter College and accepted a position teaching in the Nyack Middle School. She did further graduate work at New York University and began teaching at Nyack High School.
She was an active member of the Nyack Community Ambulance and served on its Board. She was also an active volunteer for the local branch of the American Red Cross, teaching CPR and First Aid and running blood drives. Joyce was an avid gardener and had a Nyack Village Community Garden for many years. She was active in the Rockland County Christian Women's Club. She loved sports, followed the Mets closely, bowled and maintained a lifelong interest in tennis. She was a member of Living Christ Church in Nyack, NY.
Joyce had a lovely alto singing voice and was part of a touring trio in churches throughout her college years. She traveled extensively in Europe while her husband served in the occupation Army and traveled in Asia after they retired.
She is survived by her husband of 68 years, Thomas P. Bailey, Sr., a son, Tom Bailey, Jr. and his wife, Sharon, all of South Nyack, a daughter Ruth B. Cottle of New Jersey, a daughter, Deborah Bailey-Graff and her husband Kerry of Valley Cottage, NY and a son, Michael G. Bailey, Esq and his wife, the Honorable Cynthia Bailey of Phoenix, AZ.
She loved and delighted in her grandchildren, Jonathan Cottle, Jason Cottle, Thomas Bailey III, Katharine Graff, Connor Graff, Alexander Graff, Annie Bailey and Erin Bailey. She is also survived by five great grandchildren.
She is also survived by her brother Eldon Wentz of Columbus, IN, and her stepsisters and stepbrothers, Margaret Benak, Carolyn Pethoud, Marilyn Skinner, Martha Ashba, David Davies and Thomas Davies.
A funeral service will be held at Living Christ Church, 150 Piermont Avenue in Nyack, NY on Friday, August 3 at 10:00 am with interment following in Oak Hill Cemetery also in Nyack. Friends and relatives may call at Hannemann Funeral Home, 88 South Broadway, Nyack on Thursday, 2-4 PM and 7-9 PM.
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>