Remembering Mrs. Joyce Wentz Bailey (1922-2012)
South Nyack resident Mrs. Joyce Wentz Bailey passed away Sunday, July 29. She was the daughter of the late Lloyd Wentz and Marie Moore Wentz. Mrs. Bailey was the wife of Dr. Thomas Bailey, Nyack College president (1975-1982) and Nyack College professor emeritus.
An alumna of Taylor University, it was at Taylor that she met her husband and they were married while he was serving as an officer during World War II. After the war, they settled briefly in New York City until her husband accepted a position as an Instructor at Nyack College. They moved to Nyack in 1947.
Joyce received her master's degree from Hunter College and accepted a position teaching in the Nyack Middle School. She did further graduate work at New York University and began teaching at Nyack High School.
She was an active member of the Nyack Community Ambulance and served on its Board. She was also an active volunteer for the local branch of the American Red Cross, teaching CPR and First Aid and running blood drives. Joyce was an avid gardener and had a Nyack Village Community Garden for many years. She was active in the Rockland County Christian Women's Club. She loved sports, followed the Mets closely, bowled and maintained a lifelong interest in tennis. She was a member of Living Christ Church in Nyack, NY.
Joyce had a lovely alto singing voice and was part of a touring trio in churches throughout her college years. She traveled extensively in Europe while her husband served in the occupation Army and traveled in Asia after they retired.
She is survived by her husband of 68 years, Thomas P. Bailey, Sr., a son, Tom Bailey, Jr. and his wife, Sharon, all of South Nyack, a daughter Ruth B. Cottle of New Jersey, a daughter, Deborah Bailey-Graff and her husband Kerry of Valley Cottage, NY and a son, Michael G. Bailey, Esq and his wife, the Honorable Cynthia Bailey of Phoenix, AZ.
She loved and delighted in her grandchildren, Jonathan Cottle, Jason Cottle, Thomas Bailey III, Katharine Graff, Connor Graff, Alexander Graff, Annie Bailey and Erin Bailey. She is also survived by five great grandchildren.
She is also survived by her brother Eldon Wentz of Columbus, IN, and her stepsisters and stepbrothers, Margaret Benak, Carolyn Pethoud, Marilyn Skinner, Martha Ashba, David Davies and Thomas Davies.
A funeral service will be held at Living Christ Church, 150 Piermont Avenue in Nyack, NY on Friday, August 3 at 10:00 am with interment following in Oak Hill Cemetery also in Nyack. Friends and relatives may call at Hannemann Funeral Home, 88 South Broadway, Nyack on Thursday, 2-4 PM and 7-9 PM.
- Nyack/ATS Commencement Ceremony Will Be Streamed Live at www.nyack.edu
- VOTE for Isamar Lopez in "The Voice" Competition!
- The Amasi Trio Concert
- Emerging Technology Students Showcased in Spring Show
- Rockland Chapter of Alpha Chi National Honor Society Adds Nyack College Students
- Nyack Critical Reads Colloquium Series Continues
- Passover Seder Celebrated at Nyack New York City
- Nyack Public Library Hosts Lecture by Nyack Dean
- In the Garden, a Flute Ensemble Recital
- Third Annual Student Research Conference at Nyack Rockland
- New York City Chorale Headlines Three Concerts
- NYACK'S SPRING PRODUCTION: J.B.
- Nyack College Rockland Chorale Performance of Mozart's Requiem
- Aramark Staff at Nyack Coordinates Global Volunteer Day
- Your Voice Counts: Approved NYS Budget FundsTAP Increases
- Browse Blog Archive>>