Nyack Prof Lectures on The Transit of Venus
Nyack College physics professor, Dr. Michael Huster, was the featured lecturer yesterday at the Nyack Library in Rockland County, NY to discuss the planet Venus coming directly between the Sun and the Earth today. The next occurrence will be in the year 2117.
He explained why this event is rare, how it tells us the size of the universe, and how it relates to the search for life. Observation equipment was demonstrated.
Dr. Huster shares the following events and safe ways to experience this phenomenon.
How to Watch the Transit of Venus – June 5, 2012
1) Rockland Astronomy Club sponsoring an event at 5:00 p.m.
Bellvale Farms Creamery, 1390 Rt 17A, Warwick, NY 10990, (845) 988-1818
Directions: From Nyack:
Take 287 West to I-87 North. Exit 15A to New York 17 North about 7 miles. Take NY 17A West about eight miles to the Creamery
2) Amateur Astronomy Association of New York City (http://www.aaa.org/theclub)
Pier I - 70th St and Riverside Park South Dr., New York City, (Jason Kendall will be there with a laptop for a live broadcast.)
Live Internet Broadcast
http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/ - NASA webcast
http://www.exploratorium.edu/venus/ - Exploratorium
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/ - Astronomers Without Borders
2) American Museum of Natural History In New York City starting at 5:30 p.m.
Live broadcast from Mona Kea Hawaii. Included in museum admission fee.
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>