Nyack Prof Lectures on The Transit of Venus
Nyack College physics professor, Dr. Michael Huster, was the featured lecturer yesterday at the Nyack Library in Rockland County, NY to discuss the planet Venus coming directly between the Sun and the Earth today. The next occurrence will be in the year 2117.
He explained why this event is rare, how it tells us the size of the universe, and how it relates to the search for life. Observation equipment was demonstrated.
Dr. Huster shares the following events and safe ways to experience this phenomenon.
How to Watch the Transit of Venus – June 5, 2012
1) Rockland Astronomy Club sponsoring an event at 5:00 p.m.
Bellvale Farms Creamery, 1390 Rt 17A, Warwick, NY 10990, (845) 988-1818
Directions: From Nyack:
Take 287 West to I-87 North. Exit 15A to New York 17 North about 7 miles. Take NY 17A West about eight miles to the Creamery
2) Amateur Astronomy Association of New York City (http://www.aaa.org/theclub)
Pier I - 70th St and Riverside Park South Dr., New York City, (Jason Kendall will be there with a laptop for a live broadcast.)
Live Internet Broadcast
http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/ - NASA webcast
http://www.exploratorium.edu/venus/ - Exploratorium
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/ - Astronomers Without Borders
2) American Museum of Natural History In New York City starting at 5:30 p.m.
Live broadcast from Mona Kea Hawaii. Included in museum admission fee.
- Nyack Alumnus Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Tappan Zee Bridge Evening Travel Advisory May 18-22
- 2015 Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
- Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
- A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
- ACL Student Research Award Winner
- New Beta Psi Chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society Members Inducted
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2015 Commencement
- Gone Fishing...
- A Day of Master Classes and Music Clinics for High School Music Students from Michigan
- Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
- Men's Golf Team Headed to 2015 NCAA Championship Competition
- Two Operas! Two Days! Prof. Shelley Jameson, Director
- LAST WEEKEND for Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- Browse Blog Archive>>