Volleyball Team Serves Community in Monte Plata
Nyack’s women’s volleyball team and their coaches traveled during spring break to Monte Plata in the Dominican Republic for seven days with Share USA, a non-profit organization helping communities in need of medical or financial aid. Members of the Nyack team are Ericka Catalano, Amy Dorvick, Brianna Kane, Michelle Makela, Moon Masania, Amelia Moor, Sharon Ofori, Allyson Rola, Tawnie Savage, Debbie Schendel, Jenny Schaller, and Maria Shields. Coaches are Raquel and Bret Shaffer who were joined by Nyack sociology and criminal justice faculty member, Prof. Miquel Sanchez.
Photos and news of the team's outreach were provided by Ms. Alice Pearce, an RN and a vice president on the Board of Directors of Share USA, Inc. Ms. Pearce commented, "The team, coaches, and Prof. Sanchez were so amazing to work with!"
A number of projects were completed included cleaning and painting a computer classroom, a basketball court, a home for a local family, and the foundation around a playground. The height and weight of every student at the Eva Russell School was also recorded by the volunteers. Best of all, local children were treated to four days of volleyball clinics and lots of hugs and love from the Nyack athletes.
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Tournament Luncheon Speaker
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Browse Blog Archive>>