Volleyball Team Serves Community in Monte Plata
Nyack’s women’s volleyball team and their coaches traveled during spring break to Monte Plata in the Dominican Republic for seven days with Share USA, a non-profit organization helping communities in need of medical or financial aid. Members of the Nyack team are Ericka Catalano, Amy Dorvick, Brianna Kane, Michelle Makela, Moon Masania, Amelia Moor, Sharon Ofori, Allyson Rola, Tawnie Savage, Debbie Schendel, Jenny Schaller, and Maria Shields. Coaches are Raquel and Bret Shaffer who were joined by Nyack sociology and criminal justice faculty member, Prof. Miquel Sanchez.
Photos and news of the team's outreach were provided by Ms. Alice Pearce, an RN and a vice president on the Board of Directors of Share USA, Inc. Ms. Pearce commented, "The team, coaches, and Prof. Sanchez were so amazing to work with!"
A number of projects were completed included cleaning and painting a computer classroom, a basketball court, a home for a local family, and the foundation around a playground. The height and weight of every student at the Eva Russell School was also recorded by the volunteers. Best of all, local children were treated to four days of volleyball clinics and lots of hugs and love from the Nyack athletes.
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>