SWAT Training Day at Nyack
Nyack College Rockland was the scene of several crimes today—but they were all staged drills that brought some 25 members of the Rockland County Special Weapons and Tactics team (SWAT) to the campus for a day of training. Members of Nyack’s men’s and women’s basketball teams, who remained on campus during the winter break, were among the role players who served as the endangered, wounded, or fatalities in several scripted scenarios.
Last summer administrators reviewed its comprehensive emergency operations plan with key personnel. Demonstrating his support for Nyack’s commitment to campus safety, Village of South Nyack Police Chief Robert VanCura made himself available to speak to the campus employees for the orientation.
Always looking for suitable venues to conduct monthly SWAT training, Chief VanCura arranged with Mrs. Michele Blanck, Nyack’s Director of Auxiliary Services, to plan a time when students were off-campus to conduct the training.
Nyack’s sprawling campus with administrative buildings and dorms was a perfect setting to simulate the crises SWAT teams encounter. Rockland County law enforcement officers who oversaw the training are pictured above with Mrs. Blanck (l-r) Police Officer Brent Newbury, a former Rockland County PBA president; Sgt. James Sullivan, Orangetown Police Dept.; Lt. Andrew Esposito, Rockland County Sheriff’s Office; and Chief Robert VanCura, Police Chief of South Nyack.
The day concluded with a catered meal for the officers and students.
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Browse Blog Archive>>