SWAT Training Day at Nyack
Nyack College Rockland was the scene of several crimes today—but they were all staged drills that brought some 25 members of the Rockland County Special Weapons and Tactics team (SWAT) to the campus for a day of training. Members of Nyack’s men’s and women’s basketball teams, who remained on campus during the winter break, were among the role players who served as the endangered, wounded, or fatalities in several scripted scenarios.
Last summer administrators reviewed its comprehensive emergency operations plan with key personnel. Demonstrating his support for Nyack’s commitment to campus safety, Village of South Nyack Police Chief Robert VanCura made himself available to speak to the campus employees for the orientation.
Always looking for suitable venues to conduct monthly SWAT training, Chief VanCura arranged with Mrs. Michele Blanck, Nyack’s Director of Auxiliary Services, to plan a time when students were off-campus to conduct the training.
Nyack’s sprawling campus with administrative buildings and dorms was a perfect setting to simulate the crises SWAT teams encounter. Rockland County law enforcement officers who oversaw the training are pictured above with Mrs. Blanck (l-r) Police Officer Brent Newbury, a former Rockland County PBA president; Sgt. James Sullivan, Orangetown Police Dept.; Lt. Andrew Esposito, Rockland County Sheriff’s Office; and Chief Robert VanCura, Police Chief of South Nyack.
The day concluded with a catered meal for the officers and students.
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Daniela Guirola (NC '15) Gives Music Project Proceeds to Guatemalan Non-Profit
- Lynette Rhett, Nyack NYC Student Releases CD--Come Jesus Come
- Browse Blog Archive>>