SWAT Training Day at Nyack
Nyack College Rockland was the scene of several crimes today—but they were all staged drills that brought some 25 members of the Rockland County Special Weapons and Tactics team (SWAT) to the campus for a day of training. Members of Nyack’s men’s and women’s basketball teams, who remained on campus during the winter break, were among the role players who served as the endangered, wounded, or fatalities in several scripted scenarios.
Last summer administrators reviewed its comprehensive emergency operations plan with key personnel. Demonstrating his support for Nyack’s commitment to campus safety, Village of South Nyack Police Chief Robert VanCura made himself available to speak to the campus employees for the orientation.
Always looking for suitable venues to conduct monthly SWAT training, Chief VanCura arranged with Mrs. Michele Blanck, Nyack’s Director of Auxiliary Services, to plan a time when students were off-campus to conduct the training.
Nyack’s sprawling campus with administrative buildings and dorms was a perfect setting to simulate the crises SWAT teams encounter. Rockland County law enforcement officers who oversaw the training are pictured above with Mrs. Blanck (l-r) Police Officer Brent Newbury, a former Rockland County PBA president; Sgt. James Sullivan, Orangetown Police Dept.; Lt. Andrew Esposito, Rockland County Sheriff’s Office; and Chief Robert VanCura, Police Chief of South Nyack.
The day concluded with a catered meal for the officers and students.
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Browse Blog Archive>>