John Seigenthaler, Sr. Is Nyack's Social Justice Day Speaker
Nyack College’s annual Social Justice Day celebration will be held on Friday, January 13. This year at 12:30 p.m. a luncheon, formerly held in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus, will take place at Nyack Seaport, 21 Burd Street in Nyack. A reception to introduce the luncheon honorees will be held beginning at 11:00 a.m. in the office of Nyack President Michael Scales on the Rockland campus in Shuman Hall.
The 2012 recipients of the Social Justice Day Award include husband and wife, Drs. Edmund and Susan Gordon, founders of the CEJJES Institute in Pomona, a cultural, educational and research foundation dedicated to improving educational and social conditions for all disenfranchised people. Other honorees are the Honorable Ellen Jaffee, 95th District Assemblywoman in Rockland County; and Mr. James F. Kralik, retiring Rockland County Sheriff.
Keynote speaker for this prelude to celebrating the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, will be veteran journalist John Seigenthaler, Sr. (pictured above). Mr. Seigenthaler, who founded the First Amendment Center in Nashville, is a former president of the American Society of Newspaper Editors, who served for 43 years as an award-winning journalist for The Tennessean, a Nashville morning newspaper. At his retirement he was editor, publisher, and CEO of the publication and is now chairman emeritus. In 1982, Seigenthaler became founding editorial director of USA TODAY and served in that position for a decade, retiring from both the Nashville and national newspapers in 1991.
A former Nieman Fellow at Harvard University, he served for two decades as a member of the Nieman Advisory Board. In the early 1960s, Mr. Seigenthaler served in the U.S. Justice Department as special assistant to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, which led to his role as chief negotiator with the governor of Alabama during the Freedom Rides.
Today, Seigenthaler hosts a weekly book-review program, "A Word On Words." A senior advisory trustee of the Freedom Forum, he is chair of the Robert F. Kennedy Book Awards for the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights and chairman emeritus of the annual Profile in Courage Award selection committee of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation. Seigenthaler is a member of the Constitution Project on Liberty and Security, created after the 9/11 tragedies, and served on the eighteen-member National Commission on Federal Election Reform organized in 2001 by former Presidents Carter and Ford.
For more information on this event, contact Earl Miller, executive director of community relations at Nyack College at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu or by phone at 845.675.4791.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>