Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
Outreach to communities and organizations is a common Nyack College practice because service is such an integral part of the institution's DNA.
Nyack’s Athletics Department is just one campus group that exemplifies this commitment. As participants in the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s “NCAA® Team Works™ Helper Helper Community Service Competition,” Nyack student-athletes placed 11th in the nation for community outreach. January through March 2017, schools were ranked based on the number of service hours and percentage of participants.
The Women’s Basketball Team clocked some 400 hours alone. More 698 hours and 98% participation were volunteered by Nyack athletes for the NCAA® Team Works™ competition. During the 2016-2017 academic year, Warrior teams offered 1,690 hours in various activities.
One Rockland County non-profit, the Nyack Homeless Project, recently expressed appreciation for volunteer efforts of Nyack College students, faculty and staff. When the Homeless Project was awarded with a gift of $8,000 from Bill Kolb, Jr. Subaru of Rockland to support their mission of collecting food and clothing for the less fortunate, Nyack representatives were invited to be a part of the photo shoot during the presentation.
Representing Nyack in this photo are David D. Julien, Nyack Head Women's Basketball Coach (second from the left) and Dr. Christine Buel, a Nyack College School of Education professor (fourth from the left).
MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
Dr. Vilma “Nina” Balmaceda, director of the Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE), is still accepting paper proposals from Nyack faculty and students to present at the Ninth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium. The deadline for submitting proposals is Wednesday, May 31, 2017. Those interested in presenting their research at the Symposium on Wednesday, November 8 at Nyack's New York City campus, 2 Washington Street or on Thursday, November 9 at Nyack’s Rockland County campus, 1 South Blvd in Nyack, should email the following to email@example.com:
- 200-word abstract of the paper
- 125-word bio
- High resolution color headshot (jpg format)
- Campus preference for presentation (Rockland or New York City)
Professors are asked to encourage their students to present with them or independently. Students who would like to present independently should include in their proposal the name of a faculty member who will advise them for the presentation.
This year’s 2017 Symposium is being hosted through a partnership between Nyack College and the Faith and Education Coalition of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference (NHCLC).
Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
A group of Nyack College alumni and current students gave new meaning to the phrase “if these walls could talk.” These Nyack artists spoke through their paintings, illustrations and photography on display at the intimate 400-square foot East Village Storefront in Manhattan.
Katie O’Sullivan, a Nyack College Honors Program alumna and 2016 summa cum laude English major, invited Nyack College students to participate in the event showcasing multimedia forms of art.
Katie is currently pursuing graduate studies in International Relations at New York University. She explains, “As part of NYU's Peer-to-Peer (P2P) 2017 campaign, "Common Place," our goal is to inspire ongoing conversations about community, identity, and diversity. The art show is part of a trio of events that aim to encourage people to share stories, embrace different perspectives, and express themselves.”
The work of alumni—artist Qian Ye (’12 BS, Communications; ’15 MSOL) and photographer, Tyrone Taylor (’15, Youth & Family Studies major)—was displayed. Two current Nyack students, Djulie Scaff (’18, music major, whose illustrations were on display, was joined by her cousin Christine Freitas (’18, Bible major). The duo provided music during the exhibition.
Pictured: top row: Katie O’Sullivan; middle row: (l-r) Tyrone Taylor and Qian Ye; bottom row: Djulie Scaff and Christine Freitas.
Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) and Nyack College alumna, Minister Donna Baptiste (ATS, M.Div. '85; Nyack, MSOL '08) welcomed Nyack/ATS alumnus Rev. Charles Galbreath, (Nyack, BS '06; ATS, M.Div. '09), senior pastor of Clarendon Road Church in Brooklyn to her Donna Baptiste Ministries radio broadcast, “Pursuing God.” The topic of discussion was “Distinctive Pastoring In the Urban Setting."
School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
Prof. Joel Jameson and his wife, Prof. Shelley Jameson of the Nyack College School of Music in Rockland County have announced a three-day intensive Vocal/Opera Institute, which will be held in Nyack's Pardington Hall, 45 South Blvd. in Nyack, NY May 22-24, for young professional singers and current Nyack students. Sessions will run from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. each day. Fees for two levels of participation are $300 for full participation and $150 for junior participation. This fee is due on May 22.
The Jamesons, along with Marianne Cornetti (mezzo-soprano) and Eduardo Valdes (tenor), will be the four master teachers assisted by three accompanists/coaches—Dr. Tammy Lum, David Maiullo and Andrew Reith.
The three-day program will culminate in a concert on Wednesday, May 24 at 5:00 p.m. in Pardington. The public is welcome to this event. Suggested donation is $15 and payable at the door.
For more information, contact the School of Music Office by phone at 845.675.4687 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating the School of Nursing's "Surviving Six"
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- The Nyack College Fishing Club's Big Catch
- Non-Profit Awards Dr. Jackie Washington Fellowship for Ecology Project in Costa Rica
- Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
- Meet the 2017-2018 NYC Campus Student Government Officers
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>