MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
Nyack School of Business and Leadership Associate Professor Dr. Susanne Hartl (above)has established a partnership with the Center for Transformative Work (CTW). Students are currently a part of an eight-week learning community that meets on the Rockland County campus in Boon Campus Center (Room 412) every Wednesday through March 15 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. to explore how to integrate faith into the work environment. Those who attend these sessions earn chapel credit. Pastors and seminarians are also welcome to learn how to support business people in their congregations. The workshop is free of charge, but registration is required.
Nyack's partnership with CTW also makes Nyack College students and local entrepreneurs eligible to compete in a “Shark Tank-like” event called The Entrepreneurial Business Venture Competition on Friday, March 31 in Shuman Hall, 185 South Highland Ave. in Nyack. Applications can be completed here for the chance to give an eight-minute pitch to a panel of judges. The deadline for applying is March 9. Five finalists will be chosen for the March 31 competition.
All competitors must convey how they will meet the three judging criteria:
Does Your Business Address a Societal Need?
Is Your Business Financially Sustainable?
Does Your Business Integrate Your Christian Faith?
First prize is $10,000, second prize is $7,500 and third prize is $5,000 to help get a business started or to ramp up an existing business. In addition to the financial awards, winners will receive professional business coaching. Cash prizes will be distributed by the business coach, who will work with the winners on goals and milestones.
Tickets to attend the event are free, but must be obtained at the Center for Transformative Work website. Seating is limited. Request tickets today!
OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
The Nyack College Performing Arts Department will present its spring 2017 production of The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde.
Five evening performances are on March 31, April 1, 6, and 8 at 7:00 p.m. and two Sunday 4:00 p.m. performances on April 2 and 9 all at Hilltop Auditorium 13A Dickinson Avenue in Nyack on the Rockland County campus.
The production is directed by Dr. Kevin Pinkham along with student directors, Casey Reyes and Christine Freitas.
Jack Worthing: Yahveh Calderon
Algernon Moncrieff: Conor Halcott
Gwendolen Fairfax: Maria Paschalis
Cecily Cardew: Shayla Phippen
Lady Bracknel: Kaelah Byrom
Miss Prism: Elizabeth Ince
Dr. Chausable:. Wiktor Lasota
Lane: Rachel Buratovich
Merriman: Marissa Antonucci
Admission is $5 for students and $10 for adults. Reserve your ticket by calling 845.675.4420.
English professor and production director, Dr. Kevin Pinkham, looks forward to seeing you there!
The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
The Nyack College Rockland campus Writing Center, located above Bailey Library, will host its final “Get Creative” event for the 2016-2017 academic year on Thursday, April 6 beginning at 9:15 p.m.
“The Art of Photography” will presented by Rebecca Przywara, a Nyack College nursing major and English minor in her senior year at the residential campus. Also a professional photographer, Rebecca shares, "Photography as art continues to be my focus. My photography is a sudden, brief glimpse at a small moment as I have lived it. It is not simply capturing a pretty scene or recreating the emotion of a moment; it is more. I take a snapshot, a landscape, a collision of lines and light, and I seek to bring you beneath the simplicity of what it is to all the infinities of what it could be. I hold a deep-seated affinity for color and light, and much of my work combines the two in a variety of unique ways. In particular, I enjoy playing with soft lighting and macro focus. Everything is constantly living and moving and breathing and I simply wait for it all to coalesce, just right."
Come meet Rebecca and be informed and inspired.
All are welcome to this free event.
Visit the Writing Center webpage for more information.
The Amasi Trio in Concert
Come enjoy the Amasi Trio--Dr. Tammy Lum, piano; Prof. Sungrai Sohn, violin; and Dr. Chungsun Kim, cello--in their spring 2017 concert on Wednesday, March 29, at 12:30 p.m. in Pardington Hall on the Rockland County campus of Nyack College, 45 South Boulevard, Nyack, NY.
Nyack's own Trio-in-Residence will present a glorious program featuring:
Turina: Círculo, Opus 91
Smetana: Piano Trio in G Minor Op. 15
All are welcome. Admission is free.
Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
Hudson Link for Higher Education in Prison Executive Director Sean Pica (NC ’01) was recently appointed to the Founding Board of Directors for the Alliance for Higher Education in Prison.
The mission of the Alliance is to support the expansion of quality higher education in prison, empower students in prison and after release and shape public discussion about education and incarceration. The formation of the founding board comes after a year of planning and visioning, including a Strategic Partners Workshop that Hudson Link hosted at Sing Sing Correctional Facility. The workshop was attended by more than 60 students, educators, college administrators, corrections officials, funders and policy advocates.
Congratulations to Sean as he continues the trailblazing work at Hudson Link and through the initiatives advanced by the Alliance for Higher Education in Prison!
- MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Browse Blog Archive>>