School of Education News
NYC School of Education Professor Speakers at ACSI Conference
Posted by Jamie.Lettre on Wednesday October 26, 2011
On Friday, October 28, Nyack NYC School of Education professor, Miriam Velez, will be the opening session speaker at the Association of Christian Schools International's 2011 Metro New York City Educator Convention at Evangel Church in Long Island City, New York. "The Educational Plight of Urban Children and the Kingdom Agenda," is the two-day conference theme. During her address, Prof. Velez will speak on "The Urban Teacher as a Kingdom Agent."
School of Education professor Dr. Marie White will also co-present a Thursday, October 27 workshop with Prof. Velez on "Help-Seeking and the Urban Student: Removing the Stigma," encouraging educators to help students understand that help-seeking is not a weakness, but a sign of appropriate coping.
Nyack College is a member of ACSI, an organization of Christian preschools, elementary secondary, and post-secondary schools. ACSI provides resources to the member institutions as well as professional development opportunities. The association serves more than 3.9 million students globally. With 27 regional offices in North America, nearly 23,000 schools from more than 100 countries are members.
The keynote speaker headlining the conference is Dr. Tony Evans, senior pastor of 9,000 member Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, TX. Dr. Evans is also president of The Urban Alternative, a national ministry, which includes a radio broadcast of the same name.
School of Education Homepage
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Rejuvenating First Departmental Chapel, Fall 2013
- The International Educator Website Provides Opportunities and Resources for Interested Teacher Candidates
- NYSTCE August 2013 Update and Important Information
- Important Announcement About Paper-Based Testing for Some NYSTCE Tests
- Rockland SOE Students Assemble 100 "Weekend Snack Packs" for Center for Food Action
- Eleisha Dickson, BS-MSEd Graduate, Receives Christian School Teaching Assignment
- Browse Blog Archive>>