School of Education News
Dr. Dion Harrigan Presents at the United Youth Congress
On April 7-9, 2011 Dr. Dion Harrigan presented a series of four workshops at the United Youth Congress at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida. More than 12,000 youth from across America and abroad came together to learn how to plant the seeds of service in their communities and the world. The concept of service learning is a critical element in the development and education of youth.
Dr. Harrigan’s presentation addressed ways to get young adults to integrate biblical values into their daily lives and professions. Whether their career paths were in the sciences, business, education, communication, language or literature, they were given practical examples of how to integrate their faith into their careers.
Service projects in the Orlando community included:
Volunteering with Clean the World (CTW), a non-profit organization that recycles soap and educational materials to impoverished countries around the world. Every day thousands of used soap bars are discarded in hotels and motels throughout North America. Several hundred hotels donate the soap to CTW. The youth cleaned and repackaged the soap for shipment.
Some found themselves serving in Orlando schools, helping teachers and assisting students. Other delegates invested time at an area food bank, distributing food to disadvantaged families. Still others or participated in cleanup projects and local parks or helped senior citizens.
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>