Spring 2013 Master of Science in Special Education Hooding
The School of Education celebrated its annual Master of Science in Special Education Hooding on Friday, May 10, 2013 with graduating students receiving their hoods from education faculty. The 2013 MSE class is Eleisha Dickson, Mark Goracy, Arleen Gutierrez, Aimee Jimenez, Shatia Lindsay, Amisadai Martinez, Keyla Nunez, Johanna Rodriguez, Shoshana Rosenberg, Katherine Shinners, and Jamila Williams.
Dr. Christine Buel, Director of the Master of Science program, and Dr. David Turk, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, shared warm words of welcome to students, faculty, parents, and other guests.
Special speaker for the ceremony was Mr. Ethan Smith, a sixth grade math teacher at Nyack Middle School. Mr. Smith was a 1997 Nyack College School of Education graduate and the 1997 Apple Award winner for Student Teaching. He shared an inspirational message with the graduating class based around the scripture Proverbs 3:3-6 – “Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
Professor Kristen Luba shared the scripture readings that support the School of Education acronym SALT, which stands for Service, Academics, Leadership, Training. She emphasized that the students standing before the assembly are Nyack College’s representation of SALT.
Dr. Jim Nichols and Dr. Frank Tuzi gave the faculty’s presentation of Outstanding Student Awards to students. The award is for education students who achieve a GPA of 3.85 and above.
Students knelt before the audience to receive their hoods from Professor Nicholas Holub and Professor Kristen Luba.
Professor Christopher Beirne bestowed the blessing on the assembly.
The hooding ceremony was enhanced by a prelude, processional, special music, and recessional played on piano by student Grace Yi Jusu. Special music was Toccata in G major, BWV 916 Johann Sebastian Bach I. — (1685-1750).
Dr. Buel shares her thoughts on the event. “I was blessed to orchestrate this hooding ceremony since it was my first official graduation as the director of the M.S. Childhood program. The ceremony was a culmination of prayers asking God to help each student negotiate the many hurdles of New York State Certification. I am especially proud of each student when I realize the sacrifices and great effort it took to complete the program. Although I enjoy teaching in the undergraduate program, there is something special about working with adult learners who have chosen to put many aspects of their lives on hold to go back to school. They just have such a strong drive to succeed at all costs.”
Please enjoy the photos from this celebrated event.
- Winner of the 2015 Apple Award - Allie Van Hooker
- Self-Regulation and the Common Core
- Laura Rodriguez, Former Deputy Chancellor of NYC Department of Education Speaks at the Urban Education Center
- Value and Flexibility of a Nyack School of Education Degree within and beyond the K-12 Classroom
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>