Annual Awards Chapel
The School of Education celebrated its annual Awards Chapel on Monday, April 22, 2013 with dozens of eager students and faculty in attendance.
The Chapel began with a time of worship with two students leading us in song, followed by an inspiring message by Dr. Dion Harrigan who preached on the topic, “When God Doesn’t Make Sense.” He shared an anecdote of a dog lover taking his pet to the vet for an endless series of vaccinations. While the dog spent the day whimpering about her discomfort, the owner’s heart response was, “I put her through it because I loved her.” Dr. Harrigan compared this to our Father God’s heart about our wellbeing, illustrated through Jeremiah 29:11: “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”
The remainder of the Chapel was devoted to the faculty’s presentation of awards to students.
Barnabas Award: Outstanding Collaborator in Methods’ Groupwork: For a junior who is consistently a good teammate, punctual, responsible, and encouraging.
Adolescence Education – Alex Ellingwood
Childhood Education – Rosepisey Pich
Early Childhood Education – Chia Lo
Education Dean's List: For teacher candidates whose academic achievement in education is evidenced by a Cum Ed GPA of 3.75-4.0.
Elizabeth Beers Jessica Hannon Courtney Soucek
Robert Callamari Esther Huynh Abbey Taylor
Samantha Cialini Stephanie Leone Jonathan Tice
Renee Curry Michelle Makela Allie Van Hooker
Eleisha Dickson Jacob Manuel Paul Van Houten
Seth Ditmer Stephanie Mercier Maria Varano
Alexander Ellingwood Kari Nehlsen Jared Vonderheide
Rachel Fort Hannah Plock Heather Wakeley
Abigail Frank Philip Powell Rebekah Williams
Joseph Gessler Megan Rohan Sarah Yim
Martha Guiza Pamela Shafer
Pi Lambda Theta: Pi Lambda Theta is an international honor society and professional association in education. The following sophomores, juniors, and seniors have been nominated for membership by the School of Education based on their pursuit of a career in education and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5.
Elizabeth Beers Jessica Hannon Megan Rohan
Renee Curry Esther Huynh Shoshana Rosenberg
Eleisha Dickson Brianna Kane Pamela Shafer
Seth Ditmer Emmaline Kempf Katherine Shinners
Alexander Ellingwood Audrey King Courtney Soucek
Samantha Foland Stephanie Leone Samantha Taussig
Rachel Fort Darla Lunsford Abbey Taylor
Joseph Gessler Michelle Makela Jonathan Tice
Samantha Glasstetter Stephanie Mercier Allie Van Hooker
Mark Goracy Kari Nehlsen Paul Van Houten
Martha Guiza Hannah Plock Jared Vonderheide
Amanda Halter Shawnja Pratt Heather Wakeley
Rebekah Williams Sarah Yim
Outstanding Professionalism in Fieldwork: For the junior who consistently displayed promptness, professional dress, and rapport with the children and cooperating teachers in fieldwork.
Adolescence Education – Seth Ditmer
Childhood Education – Martha Guiza
Early Childhood Education – Lindsay Kane
Educator of Promise: For the junior who demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and dispositions in methods courses for being an excellent educator.
Adolescence Education – Amanda Halter
TESOL – Kara Enneper
Early Childhood-Childhood Education – Esther Huynh
Design, Delivery, and Creativity in Instruction: For the junior whose lessons and unit plans are well thought-through, interesting, motivating, and presented clearly in class presentations.
Adolescence Education – Amanda Halter
Childhood Education – Courtney Soucek
Early Childhood Education – Hannah Plock
Excellence in Teaching: For the student teachers who address the needs of diverse individuals, demonstrate mastery of pedagogical knowledge (as evidenced by achieving a 3.5 Education GPA), show creativity and innovation in lesson planning and delivery, and receive positive evaluations by college supervisor and cooperating teacher (as evidenced by earning an A in both placements.
Elizabeth Beers Michelle Makela
Eleisha Dickson Stephanie Mercier
Abigail Frank Ian Pena
Samantha Glasstetter Paul Van Houten
Audrey King Heather Wakeley
Stephanie Leone Erica Warmelink
Apple Award for Student Teacher of the Year: For the student teacher who most consistently displays overall professionalism, a commitment to excellence, lives a positive Christian witness, demonstrates remarkable teaching capability, and has enthusiasm for the teaching profession.
Heather is pictured above holding her prized Apple Award for Student Teacher of the Year.
- Winner of the 2015 Apple Award - Allie Van Hooker
- Self-Regulation and the Common Core
- Laura Rodriguez, Former Deputy Chancellor of NYC Department of Education Speaks at the Urban Education Center
- Value and Flexibility of a Nyack School of Education Degree within and beyond the K-12 Classroom
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>