Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Yan researches diabetes and Metformin effects
Dr. Wenbo Yan, Assistant Professor of Biology, publishes in Carcionogenesis: Integrative Cancer Research. Carcionogenesis is a multi-disciplinary journal that brings together all the varied aspects of research that will ultimately lead to the prevention of cancer in man.
The article, “Metformin Targets c-MYC Oncogene to Prevent Prostate Cancer, investigates the effect of metformin on c-myc expression and prostate cancer progression. Metformin, an old anti-diabetes drug, may inhibit prostate intraepithelial neoplasia transforming to cancer lesion via reducing c-MYC, an “old” over-expressed oncogene. This study explores chemopreventive efficacy of metformin in prostate cancer and its link to cMYC in-vitro and invivo.
For more information:
Dr. Yan also presents paper at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. ASBMR is a professional, scientific and medical society established to bring together clinical and experimental scientists involved in the study of bone and mineral metabolism.
The paper is entitled, "Metformin stimulates compact bone mesenchymal stem cells and accelerates wound healing in a Type 2 Diabetes mouse model."
For more information: http://www.asbmr.org/ASBMR-abstracts
- Dr. Poston publishes two book reviews
- Dr. Arzola publishes anthology
- Alpha Chi Honor Society Rockland Chapter inducts 21 new members
- Dr. Lux publishes article on narrative theory
- Dr. Dueck publishes on religious exclusivism & diversity
- The Fine Print is Released!
- Dr. Arzola Lectures at Nyack Public Library for Poetry Month
- Dr. Romaine publishes essay in ArtWay
- Dr. Park lectures at Battery Park City Parks Conservancy
- Dr. Washington & Dr. Park Recognized as NAE Fellows
- Social Work partners with alternative-to-incarceration youth program
- Dr. Balmaceda leads discussion on mothers in prison
- Dr. Huster initiates Physics of Waves & Sound
- Dr. Arzola lectures on Pablo Neruda
- Social Work hosts "The New Jim Crow" discussion
- Browse Blog Archive>>