Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Prof. Cid to deliver inaugural 2013-2014 Men of Letters lecture
MEN OF LETTERS
Thursday, September 26 at 5:15pm - Room 2033 (Dean’s Office)
Can Scienctific Theories Withstand the Test of Time?
Alfredo Cid Ph.D.(c)
Lecturer in Philosophy
Scientific realism is a positive claim about the content of our scientific theories and models, which recommends that we believe in both observable and unobservable aspects of the world. A formidable rival is the pessimistic meta-induction argument. Based on empirical premises, it cuts at the knees of scientific realism suggesting that as scientific knowledge develops, all past and present theories will eventually be rejected for newer and better ones. Prof. Cid will explain, identifying the challenges and opportunities of this debate.
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Student Success Serves Spring Valley Community
- Communications Senior Contributes to NyackNewsAndViews
- Dr. Washington Publishes Case Study
- Arts & Sciences Welcomes and Celebrates Student Success
- Arts & Sciences Participate in Faculty Retreat
- Dr. Yu Receives Columbia University Grant
- Adjunct D'Agusto continues art exhibitions success
- Dr. Yu Honored by Wheaton's Institute of American Evangelicals
- Browse Blog Archive>>