Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Prof. Cid to deliver inaugural 2013-2014 Men of Letters lecture
MEN OF LETTERS
Thursday, September 26 at 5:15pm - Room 2033 (Dean’s Office)
Can Scienctific Theories Withstand the Test of Time?
Alfredo Cid Ph.D.(c)
Lecturer in Philosophy
Scientific realism is a positive claim about the content of our scientific theories and models, which recommends that we believe in both observable and unobservable aspects of the world. A formidable rival is the pessimistic meta-induction argument. Based on empirical premises, it cuts at the knees of scientific realism suggesting that as scientific knowledge develops, all past and present theories will eventually be rejected for newer and better ones. Prof. Cid will explain, identifying the challenges and opportunities of this debate.
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Dr. Poston publishes review
- A&S well represented in Class Act
- Dr. Poston contributes in Handbook of Religion
- Dr. Danaher publishes essay in Oneing
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Browse Blog Archive>>