Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Yu studies impact of Basketball star Jeremy Lin
Posted by Fernando.Arzola on Tuesday August 13, 2013
At the 75th Annual Meeting of the Association for the Sociology of Religion held in New York City, Dr. K. Kale Yu, Assistant Professor of History, presented a paper titled "Outside of Evangelical Mainstream: The Rise of Jeremy Lin and the Globalization of Asian American Evangelicalism."
Dr. Yu's paper examined the meteoric rise of Jeremy Lin during the 2011-2012 NBA season and how "Linsanity" revealed how the first Asian American basketball hero on a national scale has played a key role in defying conventional representations of Asian Americans, and how Lin exerted moral agency as an Asian American Christian.
What is striking about Linsanity is the extent to which his Christian faith has entered our discourse surrounding Jeremy Lin and examining Lin is a crucial pathway to understanding not only his extraordinary journey but also the ways in which Asian American Christianity informs his self-representation and self-awareness as God’s agency in professional basketball, a platform that is broadcast globally, especially in Asia. By crediting his family and ethnic background, Lin also aided in highlighting the imagined community of Asian Americans and Asian American Christians who were united in their support of his professional breakthrough.
For more information on the conference:
Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Poston publishes two book reviews
- Dr. Arzola publishes anthology
- Alpha Chi Honor Society Rockland Chapter inducts 21 new members
- Dr. Lux publishes article on narrative theory
- Dr. Dueck publishes on religious exclusivism & diversity
- The Fine Print is Released!
- Dr. Arzola Lectures at Nyack Public Library for Poetry Month
- Dr. Romaine publishes essay in ArtWay
- Dr. Park lectures at Battery Park City Parks Conservancy
- Dr. Washington & Dr. Park Recognized as NAE Fellows
- Social Work partners with alternative-to-incarceration youth program
- Dr. Balmaceda leads discussion on mothers in prison
- Dr. Huster initiates Physics of Waves & Sound
- Dr. Arzola lectures on Pablo Neruda
- Social Work hosts "The New Jim Crow" discussion
- Browse Blog Archive>>