Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Washington provides leadership to Microbiology educators
Celebrating 20 years of Vision, Change at Leadership, at the recent annual American Society of Microbiology Conference for Undergraduate Educators (ASMCUE) held in Englewood, CO, Dr Jacqueline Washington, Professor of Biology, participated in a special session entitled “A Walk Down Memory Lane and Visioning the Future” as part of the conference's 20th anniversary celebrations.
As the 2012 conference chair, Dr. Washington presented a poster highlighting accomplishments of ASMCUE over the years. Some of these include being nationally recognized as a leader in the scholarship of teaching and learning in biology, development of curriculum guidelines for microbiology courses and labs, laboratory safety guidelines and recognition by faculty that ASMCUE being a premier venue for faculty development and scholarship. Future goals include further development of student centered learning activities and corresponding assessments, completion of the critical thinking test bank and continued advancement of the scholarship of teaching and learning in biology.
Last year, during Dr. Washington’s tenure as conference chair, ASMCUE began a new collaboration with the ASM General Meeting where ASMCUE is held just prior to and nearby the larger general meeting. ASMCUE participants are given opportunity to attend the ASM General Meeting for 1 1/2 days, one of the largest annual conferences attended by over 9,000 microbiologists.
ASM is the oldest and largest life science society with over 39,000 members from all the disciplines of microbiology and so it is divided into divisions, each comprised of scientists with like interests. During this year’s ASM General meeting held nearby in Denver, CO, Dr. Washington agreed to serve on the nominations committee for Division W - the primary division for educators to select the next chair of the division.
For more information:
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Student Success Serves Spring Valley Community
- Communications Senior Contributes to NyackNewsAndViews
- Dr. Washington Publishes Case Study
- Arts & Sciences Welcomes and Celebrates Student Success
- Arts & Sciences Participate in Faculty Retreat
- Dr. Yu Receives Columbia University Grant
- Adjunct D'Agusto continues art exhibitions success
- Dr. Yu Honored by Wheaton's Institute of American Evangelicals
- Nyack to Partner with Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
- Dr. Poston Reviews Book on Second Chinese Enlightenment
- Dr. Romaine Co-edits Art History Text
- Dr. Lux presents at American University in Paris
- 2014 Arts & Sciences Faculty Retreat Announced
- Browse Blog Archive>>