Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Huster publishes article & leads workshop
In May, Dr. Kim Huster, Director of English as a Second Language, published an article in the CATESOL Journal. Her article, Biliterate Voices of Hmong Generation 1.5 College Women: Suspended between Languages in the US Educational Experience was a featured article in a special themed edition which focused on US-Educated Multilingual Students and College Writing. The article was based on a narrative research study with 13 Hmong students at Simpson University in California. Dr. Huster’s article culminates in three suggestions for supporting multilingual students: establishing and equipping the teacher as an agent for social change, promoting critical multiculturalism in the classroom, and legitimizing and giving voice to the minority experience in the classroom.
For further information, see http://www.catesol.org/CJ24_TOC.pdf
On June 8th, Dr. Huster and Diana Nygard, adjunct ESL professor and administrative assistant in the School of Education, conducted a workshop for volunteer ESL teachers in a community ESL program at New Life Fellowship Church in Elmhurst, Queens. Among other community outreaches, New Life provides ESL classes for members of the community. The goal of the ESL program is to provide accessible, high-quality ESL instruction.
All of the teachers in the program serve on a volunteer basis, and many of the teachers have little formal training in teaching ESL. In order to serve their students better, they enthusiastically welcomed the workshop as a way of developing their teaching skills and increasing their understanding of the needs of their immigrant students. Topics for the 3 hour workshop included Creating a Comfortable Environment for ESL Students, Lesson Planning and Practice, and Classroom Tips and Strategies.
- Dr. Romaine Lectures at Mockingbird Conference
- Fourth Annual Student Research Conference
- Dr. Romaine to deliver keynote address at The Schoenhals Sumposium
- Dr. Kaluka publishes article in Biochemistry journal
- Congratulations on A&S Faculty Promotions
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Yu
- Percie McLain joins A&S as Administrative Coordinator
- Dr. Park initiates Nyack College Fishing Club
- Dr. Yu publishes review in Sociology of Religion
- Dr. Park joins BIOL-O-GEE R.A.P. TEAM
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Browse Blog Archive>>